Buffalo Outdoor Center
Details of Project:
• City: Ponca
• Number of Miles: 11
• Type of Trail: Intermediate to Advanced Directional & Bi-Directional Singletrack
• Trailblazer role: Project Management
• Designer(s): Progressive Trail Design
• Permitting Agencies:
• Contractor(s): Progressive Trail Design
• Easement & Property Acquisition:
• Construction Administration:
• Date of Build: 2019
• Funding Partner(s): Walton Family Foundation & Buffalo Outdoor Center
About this Project
• Why did we do this project: The intended purpose of these trails was to utilize the natural features and elevation of the area while helping to expand trail users to destinations such as Ponca and surrounding Buffalo area.
• Interesting features: Scenic overlooks, interactive rock features, waterfalls
• Challenges: Terrain was challenging at times for the builders, property easement issues cutoff trail access.
• Advantages: Elevation (Nearly 1300ft of usable) and Natural Scenery
• Benefit of the Community it serves: The project would help offset a wintertime lull in tourism for the local community as well as help add another outdoor recreation as a whole to the area.
• Why is the project special: This project helps add another element to Arkansas outdoor recreation in the Buffalo River area without building on state or federal forestry land. As a result, visitors can partake in multiple recreational activities in the area to provide a well-rounded experience.